Saturday, August 22, 2009

edible blackberries—the kind that don’t ring

Last weekend we wandered outside the Beltway and camped in Shenandoah National Park, less than two hours from our high-rise. After a seven-year sojourn in the Midwest, the joy in being so close to the mountains and the ocean is never lost on me.

Lil’ Blue (the Civic) merged onto Skyline Drive and my BlackBerry promptly lost service. I could not have been more delighted. Like all wannabe-campers, we purchased firewood, pitched our tent 15 feet from our vehicle, and applied bug spray. We had two coolers of junk food and only one immediate concern: kindling for the campfire. The Eagle Scout tromped into the woods wielding his beloved hatchet (and boot knife, and Swiss Army knife) and I picked up a few twigs.

Then I spotted them. The real blackberries. The ones you can eat. I picked just a few (I swear!) and heard a rustling down the hill. A buck was enjoying some berries, too. In another wannabe-camper moment, I delighted in the fact that so shortly after leaving the office I was already communing with nature. The hot dogs and beers weren’t bad, either.

Update: The “Stuff White People Like” blog’s most recent post makes fun of how we camp.

3 comments:

  1. Loved the contrast of the two kinds of blackberries. I guess you know which kind I love. Made up a yummyish sort of recipe with them in fact, a crumble crust spread into a 9X9 pan, spread with plum jam (my mum's) two plums sliced and layered over that, blackberries and blueberries sprinkled over the top of that, baked for 30 minutes at 350 and then ricotta cheese thinned out with half-n-half spread over that, maple syrup drizzled over that and sprinkled with toasted almonds. Not bad. I think toasted pecans would also work well. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum ... Thanks for the summery recipe! The ricotta/maple combo sounds like a winner. (Especially b/c I'm sure you have Canadian maple syrup!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your story reminds me of _blueberries for sal_. miss you, miss you, miss you!

    good gracious, michelle! that recipe sounds like a profound spiritual experience (like all good food!). the ricotta and toasted pecan part made my heart leap.

    ReplyDelete