Wednesday, August 4, 2010

tomato update

The tomatoes are starting to peek pink and roll in. I've got my first pickings in a paper bag on the counter.

Here's a shot my brother took while visiting the garden about 10 days ago. It's great to have him in the States for a little while, though he's complained about the heat quite a bit. We all enjoyed grilled squash on a Saturday evening -- talk about fresh!


And here's my CSA display (minus the bananas): vine ripe tomatoes (they're a little ahead of mine, obviously), cherry tomatoes (which my brother devoured), and white nectarines. I love getting fruit as part of my share.


Oh ... and there's basil there, too. I think I'll make a batch of mozzarella this weekend!

5 comments:

  1. My first tomatoes finally turned pink yesterday! Our basil is growing like crazy too. We made a big batch of pesto 2 weeks ago, and the plant has already grown back. We have two cute bell peppers on the way also.

    I love your garden updates, Anna! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the produce, LOVE the curtains in the background! where did you get those, you stylish thing???

    oh, and i miss you, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah,

    The basil patch has gone crazy. Whole Foods ran out of pine nuts. True dispatch from the heart of yuppie-dom. :) Glad you're enjoying your garden ... do the bell peppers have nicknames?

    Darby,

    You've got a good backyard for basil. The curtains are off Etsy. I had to custom order b/c it's 96 inches ... but they were a steal. So key for a vanilla rental.

    I hope we can chat in real life soon. Real phone life, at least. I hope your vacation was restful!

    I am reading Philip Roth and I think he's making me write shorter sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made our pesto with walnuts this time. It is delicious. You should try it if Whole Foods has another run on the pine nuts :)

    The peppers are nicknameless. However, they are staked up with a crazy coat hanger contraption. The pliers and I had a fun Saturday afternoon of bending and straightening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the pesto with walnuts when I couldn't find pine nuts. Tasted great - and much cheaper!

    ReplyDelete