Sunday, April 12, 2009

on writing on trends

Do you ever read something and say aloud, “Only in America?” It’s one of my favorite phrases (thanks Mom), and I muttered it after reading about this yoga trend in The New York Times “Style” section. I love this part of the paper; it so perfectly encapsulates a certain kind of city lifestyle by noting various “trends” which do not occur anywhere else. As I read, I like to pretend it’s really an Onion-esque commentary on the faux-urbane. But the articles are actually serious.

After I read that article, I asked my husband: “Guess what you’ll only see in America?” Without missing a beat he said, “dog yoga.”

3 comments:

  1. At least the article's author acknowledged that it may be over the top. Honestly, though, "doga"???

    ReplyDelete
  2. wes has his finger on the pulse of american trends. i knew it. he just has that look about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - I know! They actually called it that! Darby - He does, yes he does. :) It's his new suits.

    ReplyDelete