Thursday, April 23, 2009

tocqueville part two: the culture of disbelief

The Culture of Disbelief: How American Law and Politics Trivialize Religious Devotion, by Stephen L. Carter, is on my reading list—ever since I found it for $3 at our public library’s discarded-books-store. (Of course a book like this ends up in the dustbin in Iowa City.) It was published in 1993, but somehow I suspect it is still relevant today (like Allan Bloom’s The Closing of the American Mind).

Carter won a prestigious award for the book, and this excerpt is worth noting … and a good follow up to Michelle’s comment on the tocqueville post.

"In our sensible zeal to keep religion from dominating our politics, we have created a political and legal culture that presses the religiously faithful to be other than themselves, to act publicly, and sometimes privately as well, as though their faith does not matter to them."

(I know, I know, I should read books before commenting on them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment