Sunday, May 17, 2009

what can we carry?

The moving truck is coming tomorrow. I haven’t had to pack all the boxes myself this time, so the move still seems distant, days off. I’m still trying to figure out what treasured possessions should come along in the Civic and what to trust to the movers. There were a lot of goodbyes today, yesterday, the day before and before. It’s hard to go.

I’ve been listening to a new CD from Alli Rogers, a folk/pop singer-songwriter originally from Cedar Falls. I’m not great at remembering tunes, but I’ve had her song “The Things We Can and Cannot Keep” in my head these last few weeks as we’ve prepared to leave Iowa. It’s good for a transition:

what can we carry
what will stay with us
what will shine like gold
when the story’s told
some things will tarry
some will return to dust
there are things we can
and things we cannot keep

3 comments:

  1. Your next post: What we can store! haha Glad your stuff arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thanks Michelle! I needed a laugh this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i miss you a lot. i really miss you a lot. hope dc is kind and loving to you.

    ReplyDelete