Wednesday, June 9, 2010

a backyard bequest

Here’s another great garden story … it’s really the beginning of one. My former colleague, John, is traveling in the Middle East this summer. Last summer he shared some homegrown tomatoes and jalapeno peppers and through the winter we talked about gardening and Wendell Berry and other classic crunchy-con topics. Like where to find raw milk (I have not tried it yet) and how gardening can prompt meditation.

When John was planning his journey, I offered to help tend his backyard garden while he was away. He asked for my input on how to organize the rows and what to plant. He put in tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, lettuces, beans, and some herbs. Then he went away. Free spirit that he is, he’s not planning on returning to the area, and his roommate is more than willing to let me continue gardening. And so, the backyard bequest. I’m delighted, intimidated, hopeful … and grateful to avoid the 3-year waiting list for a community garden plot.

So here’s an inaugural picture. As you can see, everything is well underway, especially the grass! I’m not sure what you’re doing on Friday, but I’ll be weeding.

4 comments:

  1. How I would love to help you. We could meditate together! The plants look beautiful. What is the soil like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! I would love that, too. I am hoping a few urbanites here will join me digging in the dirt.

    The soil is pretty sandy with some clay but a lot of compost has been added (see back corner in picture).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great garden! Wish I were close enough to help you weed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I weeded and mulched for four hours today. I'll need to take another picture next week because it already looks improved. Wish you were here, too, lb!

    ReplyDelete