Tuesday, June 22, 2010

new rhythms

About three weeks ago, I switched to half-time at work. I’m now working remotely and putting in about 20-25 hours a week editing, abstracting, and prepping web content. And I gleefully gave back the Blackberry. So far, it’s just lovely. But I don’t take it lightly.

This change is the result of about a year of reflection in our household, six months of conversations with my supervisors, and a commitment to try our best to flourish in our fast-paced environment. We’d like to stay in the D.C. area for more than the typical two years, and that’s going to take a lot of intentionality (I know, I’m not supposed to use that word) and investing in our home and community rather than our work. I’m praying for wisdom about how to best use my “free” time and how to balance my husband’s 12-14 hour days as an attorney.

So far, it’s been filled with (in no particular order): a new church committee, a garden, a car accident (no one was hurt), unrelated car maintenance, roller coasters, splashing in the pool with some toddler friends, a little more reading, and “The Bachelorette.” Oh, and the two bridal showers. How am I doing?

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that. Not many people are similarly attuned to the importance of other things beside work. I hope your new schedule goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is little blue ok? (Is that still your current car?) I love it that you're working part-time! You are living the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, you're doing a fabulous job! I'm happy to hear you're able to "plug in" in a few more outlets outside your work, and I hope you find it rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love to see you live your principles. brava.

    ReplyDelete