Saturday, January 22, 2011

confessions of a racing reader

Like many type-A achievers, I take great pride in completing a task efficiently. My formal education allowed little time for considering texts; the goal was to read for comprehension, not contemplation. There were exceptions. During college I remember a particular English assignment that required my class to memorize Psalm 8, which we then discussed, line by line, over the course of several sessions. And in high school, I read and re-read On the Road for my senior thesis, diligently marking up the pages, my tongue between my lips.

In my reading now, I have every reason to take my time. While the time allotted for reading might be limited, I don’t have deadlines for finishing a book. This winter, I’ve purposefully chosen reading that should encourage slow consideration—novels to be read carefully and gently, with a cup of tea. Sip.

In an earlier post, I shared some favorite portions from Tinkers. What I didn’t fully confess is that I raced through Harding’s rich prose in just a few sittings. He includes “excerpts” from an old clockmaker’s manual as part of the narrative; I found the technical language too boring and sped-read many of those segments. Sigh.

I’m coming to the end of Jayber Crow, having read Hannah Coulter earlier this month. I love Wendell Berry’s fictional rural community and its rhythms of lives well-lived. But I also love the rhythm of turning the page. Swish.

It's almost as if I believe quicker reading leads to deeper immersion in the text. But when I read Scripture I often read the same chapter repeatedly, several days in a row. I know I’ll skim it the first time, read it more slowly the second, start to see its beauty the third. Perhaps I should adopt this pattern for fiction and so frustrate my page-turning ambition. Smile.

5 comments:

  1. I've realised I read too fast, as well. I lose a lot when I do.

    The trouble is that reading slow a) makes me depressed, because normally what's written is more vivid than where I am reading b) takes far too much time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was a fast reader. To tell you the truth, I read painfully slowly, often aloud, and still feel like I lose a lot. Hence the never-ending accumulation by my chair. One of the books I'm finally reading after years of knowing about it is Mortimer Adler's How to Read a Book. 'Bout time, eh? Actually the revised edition I have is co-authored by Charles Van Doren. Ever see the film Quiz Show?

    However, I eat far too fast! Many years of hurried eating make that an equally hard habit to break, even when there is no rush. It's no doubt as unhealthy for my body as you suspect speed reading may be for your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. R -- Are the streets of Edinburgh and moors of Scotland not vivid? The sound of the kettle and the cat in the window?

    M -- I have a copy of Adler's book but I've only ever read snippets. I'm sure he would be appalled. Speaking of snippets, I just read about a new book called "Slow Reading." I think it primarily addresses the discipline or reading in an e-reading/distracted era. You can read chapter 2 for free: http://litwinbooks.com/slowreading-ch2.php

    Wes says he saw Quiz Show, but I don't think I have. Maybe we should add that to our Netflix queue.

    I like the link to fast eating. You can't deny your American heritage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Michelle's slow-reading problem! In my optimism, I prefer the term "thorough reader," but the designated title doesn't remove my frustration of favoring large blocks of uninterrupted quiet to mull over texts. Don't be so hard on your fast-reading self--you are blessed, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The speed of my reading always depends on my enjoyment of what I'm reading. If I'm reading a fascinating book, I typically read fast and make time in my schedule to finish the book as quickly as possible. Often, if I really enjoyed the book, I'll read it twice in a row to soak in the details I missed the first time around.

    Books that are less enjoyable (but still interesting or beneficial) I always read much more slowly. I take these books to work and make myself read for my hour-long lunch break every day until they are finished. Don't hate me, Anna, but Tinkers was a work book for me. I had a tough time getting through it. :)

    ReplyDelete