Monday, March 21, 2011

Is the scarecrow staying? And does he have a name?


Two questions I forgot to ask last Saturday, when the previous owners of our duplex gave us a lengthy tour of the yard and garden.


I did learn that the serviceberry tree is named “Dale.” And that the flox, sedum, and other plants by the pond are native to Virginia and will attract dragonflies and hummingbirds. The hedge will need trimming, the perennial bed mulching. The vegetable garden area lies at the foot of the scarecrow and will need to be cleared of rocks.


And so our life continues in Arlington, in a new (old) place, in someone’s lovingly tended garden, in another vibrant neighborhood. We are thankful.

3 comments:

  1. The suspense is killing me. IS the scarecrow staying? DOES he (or she) have a name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The scarecrow is staying, though I think the squirrels are indifferent to his presence. I think we'll call him (Mr.) McGregor. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very supportive of your name choice. Quite fitting.

    ReplyDelete