Monday, May 30, 2011

a shenandoah story


In the brief moments spent indoors during the last month, we’ve arranged a few pieces of new furniture. My favorite of these is our new dining room table. It is handcrafted from wood salvaged from a 1901 orchard barn in the Virginia countryside. It has three long planks running its length, with a breadboard extension for seating eight. The carpenter made it according to the size I specified and sent photos to make sure the finish was dark enough. I enjoyed working directly with him, and he enjoyed telling the old wood’s story—and making it come alive for another generation.



With the table as its centerpiece and a view of the garden, I think the dining room is my favorite room in the house. I feel fortunate to work from home, and even more fortunate when there is company around the table!

3 comments:

  1. Tables are magic! Beautiful! Congratulations! I'm a little envious, yes I am. Of you, who at long last is able to own a table. And of those who live in your vicinity and get to experience the magic of sharing a table with you. God bless your table and make it a centre for community, creativity, and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous table, Anna! I love your dining room, and I think--besides your garden, of course--it rivals as my favorite room from the pictures I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I hope that we can be company around that table sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete