Monday, March 30, 2009

chesterton at long last

I know, I know. I should have read “Orthodoxy” ages ago. Well, I finally did. And I plan to again. My church group has been discussing postmodernism, absolutes, and politically-correct language about truth. Here’s a quote you may have seen before:

“But what we suffer from today is humility in the wrong place. Modesty has moved from the organ of ambition. Modesty has settled upon the organ of conviction; where it was never meant to be. A man was meant to be doubtful about himself, but undoubting about the truth; this has been exactly reversed.”

3 comments:

  1. ah, chesterton! he also wrote the funniest, loveliest and smartest essays on family i've ever read, collected in "brave new family." he's a wonderful essayist, in addition to his theology and fiction. glad you're enjoying him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the essay collection recommendation Darb! Sounds good. I miss reading with you :)

    ReplyDelete