Monday, March 16, 2009

how does your garden grow?

Spring is coming (almost) and some recent reading dovetailed nicely with the soon-to-be season. Nate Jones, a friend from college, wrote a book review/reflection on “gardening in the cracks” for the latest issue of Books & Culture. He argues that we need a “theology of gardening.” (My good friend Michelle reminds me we need a theology for everything.) An excerpt:

“Any theology of gardening must be first a project of recovery, exploring the place of the earth in the biblical narrative and the story of God’s people upon the land … we have too often regarded the land as essentially an object of production rather than a creation.”

Barbara Kingsolver makes a similar point about “land as object” in her 2007 book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I could write 1,000 words on my mixed feelings about this memoir, but overall I’m interested. The book helped me ask: How have I lost a connection to what I eat every day? Nate’s article helped me ask: What cultural attitudes about food and land do Christians have that we might have just adopted without thinking about it? I know this discussion ties into the larger evangelical turn toward environmentalism – and I like the moniker “creation care.” In terms of daily life, though, let’s face it: I’m looking for good food. And sharing it is the best part!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the intro to your blog via your email...I am already loving it. And how exciting that you are heading back east :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna, love the blog and am looking forward to more. Just last week I recently met up with aforementioned Books and Culture contributor friend avec spouse in Jakarta at a venue which reminds me of the ever-so minimalist-chic bin 36 in Chicago. Keep up the wonderful thinking and writing.

    And in your next post please outline a preliminary theology of blogging that promotes virtue in an inherently narcissistic and selectively (dis)honest enterprise (cf. my blog on self-indulgent and culturally insensitive narcissism).

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read your friend's piece in B&C and enjoyed it very much - so thoughtful - the whole thing is excellent. thanks for spotlighting it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent!!!
    2 more books to recommend to my friend far away: kingfisher´s fire by Peter Harris, and the one of which it´s the sequel: something like Under Bright Wings, a book on what the love of God and of his creation can make you do...
    PS. Mucho CariƱo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steven,
    I should write a special post dedicated to my favorite narcissistic blogs! Thanks for reading and responding -- your presence here is weighty. Wes says, "A comment from Steven is foundational for a new blog."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pato,

    Hola! Thanks for the book recommendations. I loved having a book buddy in BsAs. You should join Goodreads with me!

    ReplyDelete